Although it’s always important to keep your home clean, doing so can be especially helpful during the summer months when it’s hard to keep up with all the cleaning that comes with kids and pets running around the house. Summer cleaning doesn’t have to be complicated; these simple steps can help you breeze through this chore in no time!
Step 1: Clean out the fridge
You probably have lots of food with expired or near-expired dates. Either use them up, donate them, or throw them out. You might be surprised at how much you’re wasting each month! (Check out your fridge and remove all expired items) The next step is to deep clean your oven. You probably don’t do it often enough because it’s one of those daunting tasks. But once you get it done, you’ll realize how easy it is.
Here are some steps to get you started:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle dish soap on a scrubber pad or some steel wool and scrub the inside of the oven thoroughly, getting into any nooks and crannies that may be difficult to reach otherwise.
- After scrubbing everything down, turn off the heat and let the soapy water sit for about 20 minutes before wiping it down with a damp cloth.
Step 2: Start polishing the kitchen cabinets
When it comes to summer cleaning tips, polishing the kitchen cabinets is a great way to start. You can use a variety of products to do this, but we recommend using a natural polish like beeswax. It’s easy to apply and will make your cabinets look shiny and new again. Plus, it’s non-toxic and safe for the environment. Another great product for cleaning kitchen cabinets is microfiber cloths. They are reusable and designed to be used with water only so they are environmentally friendly. These work really well on greasy spots too! After you clean them off, simply wash them out and reuse them.
How to clean your kitchen cabinets (the right way!)
To clean your kitchen cabinets, start by removing any loose dirt or food particles from the surface. Once you’ve done that, wipe down the surfaces with a wet microfiber cloth or kitchen towel. Then apply beeswax (or other polish) to a dry rag and rub it over all surfaces. Use long strokes along each side of each cabinet until you reach the bottom then flip your rag over for an even application across both sides.
Finally, remove any excess wax from each surface with another dry rag before allowing them to dry fully overnight. In the morning, buff any remaining residue away with another dry rag. Allowing your cabinets to air out overnight ensures that the beeswax doesn’t give off fumes as it dries and also prevents moisture buildup inside the cabinet. The next day, use a damp sponge to dust the inside of your cabinets. Be sure not to leave any standing water sitting in your cabinet as this could lead to mold growth.
Removing tough stains
If you need help removing tough stains from your kitchen cabinets, consider adding a few drops of lemon essential oil to some white vinegar and wiping it over the stained area. Let the mixture sit for about 20 minutes before scrubbing it with a dish brush. For soap scum, use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. Dry the surface afterwards with a lint-free cloth. Try these deep cleaning tips once a month to keep your kitchen looking fresh and clean for the summer!
Step 3: Dust everything
Summer is the perfect time to give your home a good, deep cleaning free from dust bunnies. Here are some tips to make sure you get every nook and cranny:
- Start at the top and work your way down.
- Dust ceiling fans, light fixtures, and tops of door frames first. Then move on to surfaces like tabletops, dressers, and bookshelves. Don’t forget picture frames, lampshades, and knick-knacks! Use a damp cloth or microfiber mop to avoid scattering dust around.
- Pay special attention to areas that tend to collect dust, like under the bed or behind the couch.
- Use a vacuum attachment or hand brush to reach these tight spaces. Remember to clean blinds and curtain rods as well.
When you’re done with all this, take a break outside for some fresh air!
Step 4: Clean all floors
Summer is the perfect time to deep clean your carpets and floors. Here are some tips to make summer cleaning a breeze in your home:
- Start by sweeping or vacuuming all dirt, dust, and debris from your floors.
- Next, mop or scrub your floors with a cleaner that is appropriate for the type of flooring you have.
- For carpeted areas, rent a steam cleaner or hire a professional carpet cleaning service.
- Be sure to move any furniture and rugs when cleaning so that you can reach all areas.
- After cleaning, allow your floors to air dry completely before walking on them or replacing furniture.
- Dust your shelves and baseboards after mopping.
Cleaning hardwood floors? Start by using a damp mop or vacuum, then use an oil-based polish. Avoid using cleaners that contain ammonia if you have wood floors as they will cause wood to swell over time.
To clean linoleum tile and vinyl tiles, start by sprinkling baking soda across the surface and then following up with hot water and soap; this will loosen up dirt, grime, mold spores, and mildew stains as well as removing tough grease buildups! Rinse with warm water until it runs clear. Repeat until the area is clean.
Summer is a great time to refresh your floors, but don’t forget about those other surfaces in your home too! Keep reading for more summer cleaning tips.
Step 5: Move on to bedrooms
Summer is the perfect time to deep clean your bedrooms. Here are some tips to make summer cleaning a breeze in your home:
- Start with the bed. Strip the sheets and launder them. Vacuum the mattress and then put fresh sheets back on.
- Dust all surfaces, including ceiling fans, light fixtures, and windowsills.
- Declutter dresser tops and nightstands. Wipe down surfaces with a damp cloth.
- Empty closets and vacuum floors and shelves. Donate items you no longer need.
- Wash windows inside and out. Hang curtains or blinds to air out in the sun for a few hours if possible.
- Put away any clothes that may have been left on the floor and move misplaced shoes into their designated area.
If the clothes pile isn’t too high, go ahead and do a quick load of laundry before putting everything away. Now take a look around at what you’ve accomplished! The room looks better already!
Step 6: Clean bathrooms thoroughly
Bathrooms are often one of the dirtiest places in the house, so it’s important to give them a good cleaning during your summer cleaning spree. Here are some tips to make sure your bathroom is sparkling clean:
- Start by decluttering the counters and shelves. Remove any items that you don’t use on a regular basis and put them away in storage.
- Wipe down all surfaces with a multipurpose cleaner or vinegar and water solution. Don’t forget to clean the inside of cabinets and drawers!
- Scrub the toilet bowl, sink, and bathtub/shower. Be sure to use a toilet brush for those hard-to-reach spots in the bowl.
- Mop the floor last. It’s easiest to mop when it’s wet. Add some vinegar to your mop water if you want an extra boost of disinfectant power!
- Lastly, disinfect your toilet seat with rubbing alcohol and paper towels. Cover the seat in toilet paper and set aside until dry before putting it back on the lid again.
Keeping your bathroom tidy and clean is essential for making summer cleaning a breeze. Keep these summer cleaning tips in mind next time you need to get your bathroom sparkly and shiny once more!
Step 7: Don’t neglect outdoor spaces
Summer is the perfect time to give your outdoor spaces some love. Here are a few tips to make sure your outdoor areas are clean and inviting:
- Start by sweeping any decks or patios. If you have a power washer, now is the time to use it!
- Move on to cleaning any outdoor furniture. This includes wiping down tables and chairs, as well as giving cushions and umbrellas a good wash.
- Don’t forget about your grill!
- Don’t forget your hoses, sprinklers, and other outdoor accessories!
And while you’re at it, check your kids’ water toys for any rips or holes. Put them in the sun to dry if they’re wet. Fill up pools with fresh water before adding any chemicals. Lastly, be sure to store all of your lawn and garden tools after each use so they don’t rust over summer. Finally, take care of any leaves and weeds that might be starting to grow before they get out of control.
With just a little bit of upkeep this summer, you’ll feel ready for whatever comes your way.
Contact Cardinal Cleaning about cleaning services
Cardinal Cleaning values quality service and trustworthiness. You can always rely on our consistent service to take care of your home. If you’re in need of a cleaning company that provides high-quality work, contact us today so we can discuss what needs to be done and talk about the benefits of hiring us over other options available. Request a free quote or just say hello by calling 404-920-8551 or sending an email to info@CardinalCleaning.biz!